Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A taste of Fall

I was cooking for one tonight so I could play with my food some :)

In a well seasoned 6"cast iron fry pan I tossed 1/2 an apple sliced, a palmful of raisins and a palmful of craisins. I heated the pan and then added a salted & peppered pork chop. After it was browned I added some gf chicken broth and let it simmer.

In another small pan I boiled salted water and added thinly sliced cabbage only cooking it until it started to wilt & change color. Then I blanched it in cold water, added a little bit of butter and a lot of pepper. Back to burner #1 - I added broth as needed to keep the pan from drying out but not much. Once the chop was cooked I put it on top of the stewed cabbage and used a touch of broth to de-glaze the pan and make a sauce. I had a serving spoon of white rice from last night that I mixed with the de-glaze sauce and heated. Nummy I like my meat cooked with fruit and the only thing that would have made it better would be fall spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger), I'll add them next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment