Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How I got here....(June 1)

How I got here....

So inspired by [info]magickalmom's adventures in going gluten free (and the positive changes), a "like" on FB from [info]tis_caitlin about restarting new years goals on June 1, and a convo with [info]museclio about my general unhappiness with my body I started thinking about trying this gluten free stuff.

Shortly after my WLS 5 years ago I developed an allergy to certain sugars - it seemed pretty random. Well last week, after having recently read something on [info]magickalmom's LJ about gluten and sinuses, it occurred to me that each time I can recall having that drastic reaction to sugar (essentially 30 mins of awful sinus drip and congestion) that the food also had contained wheat. The reaction I had Friday was post breakfast bagel. Hmmm, what is 1 + 1 again - apparently it's not 3 like I'd thought.

So I decided to go GF on June 1 - and went hog wild with picking up snacks for the weekend event. Saturday I munched on pretzels and goldfish, and then had hot fresh bread. By the time we drove the 40 miles back to the hotel I was in so much pain that if someone had offered me a cyanide pill I would have taken it.

So Sunday I skipped the baked goods for breakfast - and did a protein shot and yogurt. I had turkey at lunch, snacked on pistachio's, had a grilled chix breast for snack, and then Chinese (hunan chix) for dinner. Still not GF, but getting a lot closer. And wow, I felt "cleaner" No gassyness, or pain in my gut. No doubling over wishing I hadn't eaten that, etc.

Monday was the party - I had yogurt & bacon for breakfast, and bun-less burger/sausage...and lots of fruit and veggies. The only place I wasn't so good was in having a bite of the crust on my blueberry cobbler. Again, felt great. And wasn't really craving crap.

Tuesday - back to work and I wanted to stress eat but didn't. I have dried edamame to snack on, and that helped. Dinner was chili - so all good there.

Wednesday - I realized my thinking is clearer, and that I am not having non-stop cravings for food. I feel more in control over food than I have in a long long time.

Fudge! I think I am on to something.

No comments:

Post a Comment